What Its Like

11:32 AM 0 Comments

So I have a lot of poems I've written that are meant to be spoken word pieces. They are written in a notebook and are very stream of consciousness. I'm starting the process of transcribing them from my notebook to my blog. This is the first.

----
10/04/13

It starts like a wolf whispering in promises and metaphors.
A lone wolf it cries out in the light
making the most innocent past times into an eerie schoolyard scene.
Its shadow breaking up the sunshine creating rays of light
that always seem to fall between my fingers.
Its like an uneasiness too subtle to put into words that creeps inside my veins
filling my heart with doubt.
"Hush," I say. "Sleep now and all will be well."
The wolf growls and slowly cries itself to sleep.
Another day goes by.

Its like a howl on the horizon.
A lone wolf still at the edge of my increasingly putrid thoughts
taunting me with its tell tale heart.
Closer it comes and louder it howls
until I can take no more and I growl back.
The wolf backs down and cries itself to sleep.
Its darker this time, the shadow blocking out the sun almost completely
beads of light piercing through giving me a glimpse of home.
Another day goes by.

Its like a cancer attacking every cell in my body.
I can feel myself giving in to my morbid diathesis
and the wolf has grown too.
Multiplied now in two, it blacks out the sun entirely
biting and scratching in the darkness.
It hunts for my arteries but finds my thighs
parting me like paper liquid guilt spilling out over my ivory skin
and ruining the cheap tile floor that I've chosen as my altar
offering myself as a sacrifice.
Salted memories are stinging my eyes and all I can do is watch it happen
helpless....useless.
All that is left to do is wait for them to sleep and yet another day goes by.

The strength of the wolf is the pack
and this time they speak in confusion and loneliness.
No more metaphors, no more promises.
Just cold hard truth
and all that's left to do is indulge.
Every gasping breath becomes a suicide note
begging to be read by anyone that will take the time
It becomes an answer to everything
Missed work? Kill yourself.
Forgot to feed the cat? Kill yourself.
She's prettier than you? Kill yourself.
Louder and louder the pack surrounds me
telling me I'm worthless
clawing and biting
their teeth leaving scars
the pain is exquisite but they snap at every thought of release
Inside my head I scream but no one can hear

What do I do? What do I do?
Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

Louder and louder and louder
until I wake up staring into the eyes of the ER doctor
asking me with all the sympathy money can buy
"What did you do to yourself?"

Emily

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments:

© Emily Stephens 2015. Powered by Blogger.